Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Alice the Hero

Us Ones in Between by Sunset Rubdown

(Lyrics here)



















Speaking up is hopefully something I will be comfortable with by the end of my college journey.

I have a very bad habit of being
 rather shy about disagreeing or even voicing my opinion in strange and unfamiliar settings; often I find myself catering more to others’ wishes than my own. It is a habit I know I must break, for losing one’s sense of self, especially at this point in one’s life, can be detrimental.

Although many superheroes and comic book characters are not realistic in their heroism, Alice’s heroism is much akin to that of the Watchmen; both are simply normal people trying to find their way in the world.

We speak often of the Alice books as a parody of college life, and I think one of the most important aspects is the “heroism” of Alice. It is true that she is not a hero in the conventional sense: she has not created a cure for a disease, saved the lives of men in battle, or written an immensely popular help book (such as our good friend Covey). Alice lacks all of the qualities of the heroes of lore, but what I find most admirable about her is that she always acts according to herself, and does not permit the opinions of others to influence her.

Seeing Alice embark upon an entire adventure whilst staying true to herself seems rather heroic to me. She sticks up for herself by telling the Hatter, “You should learn not to make personal remarks…it’s very rude,” (Carroll 70) and does not allow others to slight her, as seen by her response to the Hatter’s impoliteness: “This piece of rudeness was more than Alice could bear: she got up in great disgust, and walked off.” (Carroll 77) She is precocious, inquisitive, and unyielding, and remains all of these things throughout her adventure, never allowing others to change her.

"You're nothing but a pack of cards!"

Being in college means new people and experiences, not all of which are helpful to our goals and wellbeing. In the onslaught of newness that will surround us through our college years, we must remember to stay true to ourselves and our beliefs like little Alice, and sometimes say, “Who cares for you? You’re nothing but a pack of cards,” (Carroll 124) to those who seek to tamper with our sense of self. It will not be easy, and it never was easy for Alice, but we must look to her as an example. At the end of our “curious dream” (Carroll 125), we will find ourselves stronger and able to handle the world.

No comments: