Monday, October 27, 2008

Survival vs. Compassion

Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts by Wolf Parade

(lyrics here)

I believe that the argument of survival of the fittest vs. compassion does not have an absolute answer; a different response can be applied to certain conditions. For the purposes of this discussion, I will examine three examples: school, work, and the most extreme of situations. My goal in doing this is to exemplify that one cannot simply take a definite stance on one or the other; every different circumstance requires a different path of action.

Westlake High School, home of the crazed top ten percent, the (formerly) prestigious Chaparral football team, and the (also former) top physics program in the world.

Living in a state that utilizes the top ten percent rule acclimated me to the ridiculous emphasis on grades in high school. Being in the top ten percent meant automatic admission to all of Texas’ public universities, which was funny, because all of my peers in the top ten percent (myself included) wished to go anywhere but a public university in Texas. We all had our sights set on the Ivy Leagues, and Texas was at the bottom of our lists, yet still we competed and double dealt to surpass each other in rank. The slightest move from a rank of 33 to 32 was something to brag about. Help was not offered; only alluded to.

Looking back on that experience, I realize that I gained absolutely nothing, save for endless nights of studying and irrational jealousy at those who were above me in rank. Instead of learning and applying my education, my entire high school journey was a conquest of those lesser than I.  I sneered at those who received lower grades and hid my understanding from others, so that they did not seek my help.

The lack of a rigid grading system in college threw me off completely. I could not compete as aptly if I did not know what I was competing for. Several of my classes do not even give out specific grades, so the desire to become “top of the class” was undermined. I began to realize the importance of working together and helping others, for in school, as in life, we are all working towards one common goal: Success. I “threw off old husks of prejudices.” (Hardy 276) For example, my three of my French classmates and I meet every other week to study for tests, something I would never imagine doing in high school. I found that “I could accumulate ideas, and impart them to others,” (Hardy 314) and that the act of helping others understand the material actually aided me in comprehension. Just as Jude states, “If that can be done…at college gates in the most religious and educational city in the world, what shall we say as to how far we’ve got?” (Hardy 257)

Don Draper of AMC’s Mad Men, played by Jon Hamm.

The media often depicts the successful businessman as one who slighted others on his way to the top. In real life, I do not believe that one can achieve such status by simply wronging others. The men who have the adulations are those who have succeeded brilliantly, but who have also been magnanimous and receptive in their accomplishments. In the workplace, I agree with Saumya and Brian in that we must have a balance between the idea of “survival of the fittest” and compassion. Take, for example, the rare character of Don Draper from the television show Mad Men: he is an extremely prestigious ad executive who has gotten where he is not only because he is a driven and competitive individual, but because he is good with people. He can cater to what his customers and clients want, but knows when to push and persuade them.

However, in this present day, I feel we must never forget that at the end of the day, it really is every man for himself. Compassion is a trait that is admirable and hopefully within every person, but too much of it can destroy the individual’s own goals and aspirations. Likewise, too much competitiveness can decimate relationships and thus sabotage the original purpose.

Tom Hanks knew that he had to sacrifice compassion in order to survive in the movie, Castaway.

In the direst of situations, however, those that deal with life and death, I believe that compassion must be minimized. Although I am a vegetarian, consider this scene (however unrealistic it may be): If given the choice to eat an animal or starve when stranded in the wild, which would you choose? Our compassion can only go so far; survival is one of our basest instincts, and in the end, it is the deciding factor.

No comments: