Monday, October 6, 2008

Plan II be the Best

Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend

This song is a criticism of the pretentious elite

(click the triangle to play)




Ice Cream: Disgusting or Delicious?  I would have to find out.

“Would you like to try some ice cream?”

My mother’s face loomed over me, her fingers balancing a spoon that cradled what she dubbed “ice cream”. I wrinkled my nose at the stuff. It looked and sounded absolutely atrocious, and I knew nothing but misery resided in the inner depths of this apparent “food”. It was poison, I was sure.

Still, my mother’s hand came closer. The cold metal of the spoon attempted to part my lips, yet I resisted: I would not eat this toxic waste. My eyes were narrowed and my brow was corrugated in concentration and defiance, but a stern look from my mother opened my lips dejectedly.  

A sharp gasp! It was cold, bitingly so. My tongue shrank in embarrassment, and I felt my cheeks contract against the chill. There was no choice: I swallowed the first dollop. To my dismay, the thing dubbed “ice cream” was not poison. There was, in fact, a sweet flavor that lingered on my tongue. It tasted milky and delightful, and I was ready for another go.

The six year old that experienced the first tangs of ignorance and enlightenment has grown older, but those two dueling notions still exist within me. In fact, they still exist within everyone. Society attempts to fight the first power, ignorance, by imposing upon us the pressures of a higher level of education. We spend our first eighteen years striving to be a standout, striving for perfection in order to obtain a spot at the coveted university, where we can study what it is that we truly love.


Who actually daydreamed about offices as children? 

Or is it what we truly love? How many of us truly dreamed of being an accountant or a systems analyst? How many of us were pressured by our parents and others into choosing a career in law or business? And how many of us don’t really want any of those things, but instead wish to indulge in the vocation that gives us pleasure, but that others will disregard as insignificant because of a lower pay? Most importantly, what will we do if we love everything? Choose to sextuple major? The idea is laughable, especially when most universities are designed to prepare us for a career that requires a specific skill. Suddenly, a love of history no longer seems relevant when considering the path of a Wall Street tycoon.




Despite their frills, these women were most likely more worldly than many today.

In the Victorian days, women were considered truly accomplished if they were well educated in literature, mathematics, and the arts. People like Charlotte Bronte were reasonably holistic, for she was able to write elegantly, teach mathematics, paint, and play the piano. 
Nowadays, such people are rare, for as we reach adulthood, we are taught to shirk the things that do not contribute to our future careers. We forget the things we enjoyed that contribute to society in minor or unobvious ways. The definition of liberal arts includes, “…worthy of a free man; opposed to servile or mechanical…Pertaining to or suitable to persons of superior social station; ‘becoming a gentleman’.” (X318B) This is someone who is learned in all aspects, cultured, and most of all, enlightened. This is a liberal human. A free human.


“If anyone lets himself be dominated by anything, then he is a slave to it.” (X319)

I agree with Andrew in the respects that Plan II offers freedom. In high school, I loved English and was sure that it would be my career. Then in sophomore year, I was introduced to Chemistry, and ended up dedicating three years of my life to it, convinced that I would become a chemist. But I then found myself daydreaming about playing in a Symphony and traveling the world with the orchestra. In senior year, I found that I was unnaturally excited for Government everyday, and that I wanted to learn more than just a semester’s worth. By the time I finished my college applications, I, myself, did not know what I wanted to do. How could I forsake one of my passions for another? This, coupled with my never-ending passion for the art, music, theatre, and film, made me truly question some of the universities I was applying to.

To me, Plan II stands for bullion against ignorance. One of my biggest worries in choosing just one or two majors was that I would be wholly cut off from anything else I wanted to learn. What Plan II has done is to allow me to dabble in everything and to experience learning without sacrificing any of my other loves.

“We have literature and the arts so that we can gain sympathetic access to systems of belief that are not our own. Imagination had better include entering into worlds that are not your own, as well as the entertaining of beliefs that you don’t yourself hold but that it will be good for you to feel the force of.” (X325)

St. Mary's Church in Austin, TX.  Us Bumpers got to experience a typical Sunday mass...in Spanish!

I believe that this quote applies very well to the Spanish mass that we attended yesterday. I am not particularly religious; religion as a whole just makes me uncomfortable. Although I could not understand the words being spoken, nor follow with the ceremony, I sense that I experienced more by just watching and feeling, by seeing people being vulnerable and connected by their beliefs. It was a very good way to open myself to the world and be a little bit more understanding. After all, ignorance is the root of fear. Just as I finally tried the ice cream, and discovered that I loved it, I am slowly discovering the things that I previously shunned but am now becoming more informed on. My ignorance to the world around me is disappearing, thanks to the experiences with which Plan II is providing me.

The word “elitism” has been prevalent in all of the blogs above me, almost becoming synonymous with enlightenment and intelligence. I do agree that Plan II kids should not rely too heavily on that trait; we should be grateful for the reason why we believe we’re elite. However, if being “elite” means being a cultured and accepting human being, one who vies for knowledge and does not shun enlightenment, then I will be all to happy to be called “elite”. Because the word no longer means “haughty” or “pretentious” in that sense. It means the best.


---

Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend:

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?
I've seen those English dramas too, they're cruel
So if there's any other way to spell the word
It's fine with me, with me

Why would you speak to me that way?
Especially when I always said that I
Haven't got the words for you
All your diction dripping with disdain
Through the pain
I always tell the truth

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?
I climbed to Dharamsala too, I did
I met the highest Lama, his accent sounded fine
To me, to me

Check your handbook, it's no trick
Take the chapstick, put it on your lips
Crack a smile, adjust my tie
Know your boyfriend, unlike other guys

Why would you lie about how much coal you have?
Why would you lie about something dumb like that?
Why would you lie about anything at all?
First the window, then it's to the wall
Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth

Check your passport, it's no trick
Take the chapstick, put it on your lips
Crack a smile, adjust my tie
Know your butler, unlike other guys

Why would you lie about how much coal you have?
Why would you lie about something dumb like that?
Why would you lie about anything at all?
First the window, then it's through the wall
Why would you tape my conversations?
Show your paintings at the United Nations
Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth

No comments: